Mar 4, 2007

My Kind of Jogging

Everyone remembers the earthquake that struck us last November. In fact, I'm sure many people remember what they couldn't do - no electricity, and in some cases, no running water. However, that 'sparked' opportunities for many people to actually do things that they haven't done in a while. I actually got to skip out on doing chores and homework. In turn, I actually got active; I went outside for a little jog through the neighborhood.
For those of you who have seen the movie Forrest Gump, you may recall that he went jogging for about 2 - 3 years. And there are three things that jogging does for you:

1) Get the blood pumping and strengthens your heart
2) Gets your mind to keep telling you "Almost there...don't stop now."
and finally,
3) Gives you time to think.

I don't know about you, but whenever I jog, my mind seems to empty out the school related material and all that other junk. After all, running is simple - put one foot in front of the other and don't stop. It's not like other sports where you have to think about where to place your fingers or concentrate on doing something in a specific manner. In turn, this can "free your mind" from various stresses.

You can only do one thing with a free mind, and that's think. Whenever I go running/jogging/etc, I start to think. And it's not something complicated like the meaning of the universe, it's just simple things that pop into my head. For example, that I day I began to think about how much we are reliant on electricity.

If you dont believe me, just go jogging for yourself. Just follow the road and keep putting one foot in fron of the other. Soon enough, you'll start thinking about something. (You might begin thinking that what I said was false, and that you aren't thinking about anything, but in fact you are thinking about something.) Running or jogging also gives you time to reflect on things. Why did I do so bad on that test? or What would've happened if I ask so-and-so out?

You'd be surprised at what simple things do to you.

No comments: