May 10, 2007

My Dreams...

I belive that very few people my age know what it's like to let go of something very precious. I don't think I even know what I can define as precious in my life, but I have a few starting points. So goes the saying "You don't know what you got till it's gone." And I believe in that to the fullest. Too many times do we take things for granted - many of us don't even realize the amount of sacrifices our parents have made for us. Our coaches and teachers and guiders have deffinetly given up a lot of their time for us as well. Without their losses, we wouldn't have been able to further ourselves as people.

Sacrificing time, commitment, and even fun is very hard to do for us teenagers. Caught up in our own worlds of school, friends, and relationships, we barely have time to think about the moral values of our decisions. I have to say that I rarely look into the long-term consequences of my everyday actions, and I believe that THAT is one of my issues dealing with prioritizing. However, I will say that I haven't had to give up much - just some time with friends in order to study or a "lazy sunday" for work. But I will say this - I believe that I have indeed given up some major things within my life-time. I mean, there could be a snowball effect involved.

Something starts off small, like a small snowball at the top of a hill. But over time, it grows within you, and doesn't stop untill it's too big for you to handle. By the time the snowball reaches the bottom of the hill, it's as big as a house!

All I'm saying is that giving up the thing you want most isn't something small to do - you have to tell yourself to let go, even when you don't want to. That to me is the greatest human struggle. Infact, I was watching MIB not too long ago, and I distinctly remember a conversation between Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) and Agent J (Will Smith):

J: Well you know what they say: 'It's better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all-"
K: Try it.

No comments: