May 6, 2007

My Mother's Day

Actually, if it weren't for Mother's Day, I can guarantee you that more than half the people in this world wouldn't even remember to thank their moms every once in a while. About four out of every five [Caucasian] American doesn't even know what filial piety is. The reason why I included the [Caucasian] part is because many Asian people were brought up with having strong family bonds, in turn paying respects to past ancestors. So, there is a strong sense of filial piety in a lot of Asian families. In fact, here's how my {early} Mother's Day routine went:

1) Wake up, make breakfast and coffee for mom.
2) Drive to Grandparents house, wash and polish grandmothers car.
3) Drive home, clean house for next 3 hours.
4) Begin cooking around 1:00pm.
5) 5:30, party starts.

I know I shouldn't be complaining, but I'm just saying that without Mother's Day, many of us would completely forget about our Moms...(mums...mothers...all the same). I can honestly say that I don't thank my mom (or my dad for that matter) as often as I should. Even if it's over the small things, I hardly thank my mom. It seems like someone out there realized that without someone or something telling you to thank your mom, no one would do it.

Of course there's the birthday parties and the Christmas presents, but what about when it really matters. For example, if you [want to] talk to your parents about life, they take their time to listen what you have to say. They might even offer advice. Given the fact that they've been in the world longer than you have, that kind of information is way more often than not, valuable. That deserves a thank you. They don't have to listen to you, they don't have to take time off of their busy schedules to hear what you have to say, but they do anyway.

I realize that the more I look at (and criticize) the behavior of people my age, the more I realize that I'm a hypocrite. I know that I don't thank my mother enough, yet, it really ticks me off to see teenagers get angry at their parents for picking them up late. Kids these days should realize that parents don't have to pick you up from school - you could always catch The Bus, or better yet, walk. And withing regards to strict parents, I agree that sometimes parents can push the borderline, but it's always for the better. I can't count how many countless times my parents have saved my behind by their restrictions. Impossible it may sound, but true none-the-less.

No comments: